Your cart is currently empty.
The Health Benefits of Pineapple
The Pineapple is a forgotten fruit that has been around since Christopher Columbus brought pineapple to Europe after an expedition to South America. One cup of pineapple has 131% of the vitamin C needed for an adult.
- Promotes a healthy complexion and hair (due to antioxidants)
- A higher intake of all fruits (3 or more servings per day) has been shown to decrease risk and progression of macular degeneration
- The risks of developing asthma are lower in those who consume more beta-carotene, found in pineapple, mango, apricots, broccoli, cantaloupe, pumpkin, and carrots
- Increasing foods that contain potassium can help lower blood pressure
- Pineapple contains bromelain which is an enzyme that digests protein. Some say that bromelain assists to reduce inflammation of the sinuses and the nose
The price of pineapple can fluctuate throughout the year; the season is upon us, so eat in good health.
Once a pineapple is picked it no longer ripens as other fruit. When selecting a pineapple, try and pluck out one of the leaves, if it comes out easy, the fruit can be eaten on the same day. If it will not come out, select another fruit. The easier it comes out the more juice the fruit has. Just enjoy.